Monday, October 6, 2008

first night in Nadi


Here I am, in Fiji on a solo vacation. I'm just a little uncomfortable with all of the questions about why a single woman is single and if she is on vacation, why is she on vacation alone. Do you have family? Children? Where is your husband? Is he dead?


I'm surrounded by lovely humorous Australians and New Zealanders, but nary an American in sight. Every fellow traveler I meet, once I confess that I am American, is dying to ask me what I think is going to happen with our election. You know - the PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION? They say, this from the Australians, in whose country the vote is compulsory, " If we could vote, we would be at your polls, but we CAAAANT." Say can't like car, but with a really long A. God forbid, the world might be cursed with another 8 years with a Bushy! We Americans must do SOMETHING! It CAAAANT be allowed!


After a few cocktails, the entertainment begins and it is spectactular.





These hot young Fiji boys start dancing, singing, and throwing flaming torches while surrounded by a dozen or so children. They are the pied pipers of the Radisson Hotel with little munchins swarming at their feet and at the same time, adults a clapping and cheering to the rythm of their dance.


No comments: